Hit and run accidents are not uncommon throughout New Mexico. Unfortunately, when they happen to a person on a bike, they can result in severe injuries. Here, we want to review the steps that an injured bicyclist can take after a hit-and-run crash. We strongly suggest that all bicycle crash victims work with a skilled Albuquerque bicycle accident attorney who can help them recover the compensation they are entitled to for their injuries and property damage expenses.
Hit and Run Accidents Can Lead to Severe Injuries
According to data presented by the University of New Mexico and obtained by the NM Department of Transportation, we can see that there were 374 total bicycle accidents reported across the state during the latest year of information available. Out of these incidents, there were only 36 reported cases of bicyclists walking away unharmed.
Unfortunately, bicycle hit and run accidents can lead to severe injuries for the bicyclist involved. This includes, but is not limited to, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken or dislocated bones, road rash, lacerations, severe sprains or strains, and more. If you have been injured in a hit and run crash, there are various steps that you can take to help make sure that you receive the care and compensation you need:
- Call 911. The police need to come to the scene of any bicycle versus vehicle accident in New Mexico. Let them conduct a preliminary investigation and fill out the accident report that you will need for your insurance carrier.
- Seek medical care. Any bicycle accident victim needs to seek immediate medical care, even if they do not feel any pain right away. Seeking medical care right away helps establish a solid link between the injuries and the crash and also ensures that an individual can receive the treatment that they need quickly.
- Gather evidence. Bicyclists can gather evidence at the scene of the crash, but only if it is safe to do so. They can use a cell phone or another type of camera to take photographs of the causes of the crash, injuries, vehicles involved, traffic and weather conditions, and more. Additionally, if there were any eyewitnesses to the crash, their names and information should be gathered so that these individuals can be contacted at a later date.
- Report to your insurance. Bicyclists need to the crash to their personal auto insurance carrier (if they have automobile insurance) so the claims process can start. If a bicycle accident victim does not have insurance, they can initiate the claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier.
- Speak to an attorney. It is crucial to work with a skilled bicycle accident lawyer in New Mexico as quickly as possible who can handle all communication and negotiations with the insurance carriers and at-fault parties.
- Continue medical care. Bicycle crash victims must continue all medical care until the doctor says they have reached maximum medical improvement. If a bicycle crash victim in New Mexico discontinues care before the doctor says they should, this could give the insurance carriers or reason to say that the victim was not really injured in the first place.
If you are involved in any motor vehicle accident, please reach out to our Albuquerque car accident lawyers today.